Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Close Knit Community

A few weeks ago you might have seen a Suggestion Box in Lipson St?

It was good of everyone to get into the spirit of it.  Lots of you wrote down over 200 comments and ideas for what you wanted in the Port. While it's taken me a while to go through them all, your suggestions have been passed on to the Port Renewal people. (Rumour has it that some things will start taking off real soon.)

There were some ideas that the Government probably won't do, though, and which we probably need to do for ourselves.  An example might be like bringing Llamas to the Port (yep, that was one idea) and while I don't understand the fascination with Llamas or their connection to the Port, I've not yet given up on getting them here.

Besides the Llamas, there were other things that surprised me and my family about how others see the Port. Just goes to show how important it is to listen every once in a while - it can change your point of view...

For example, Aunt Pearl was looking over my shoulder when I was sorting the suggestion slips and she was a little hurt by one comment.

"The Port is empty and cold. It needs to be warmer and more inviting". I know that she can be a bit sensitive to negative comments about the Port but she went right off at this one! There was a lot of banging and crashing in the kitchen after dinner (she even broke Gran's favourite tea cup) and then stormed off to bed mumbling about how some people "just don't get the Port".

Well, I made good my escape quick smart cos being around Aunty Pearl in a temper is not a nice place to be. Down at the club, over a few beers, I got to thinking...  Someone who doesn't live here might think the empty shops and footpaths as proof of it being an unfriendly place - a place not to stop in. Or they might see all the hard surfaces as cold and uninviting.  But Aunt Pearl, Ganny Glad, my mates and me, we see it differently.

Aunty Pearl, for instance, sees a Port full of colourful people, family and friends. She notices the trees, the beaut buildings, the river and even the quirky and gritty bits, because these all have warm memories for her - and for me, too.  Maybe our opinions make us deaf to what other people are saying.

Anyway, the next morning when she came back from her walk around the river Aunty Pearl apologises to Gran and announces she is going to show everyone how warm the Port really is.  And she and her friends have been knitting ever since.  Now I'm not one to ask questions of a woman on a mission, so I didn't understand what all the yarn was about until yesterday...

Yep, yesterday I noticed that Aunty Pearl had hacked into my facebook page and, pretending be me, has got about 30 people from all over the place, and who she doesn't even know, knitting. Apparently Granny Glad is in on it, too!

The two of them have organised a 'yarn-bombing' which sounds like some sort of a soft, 3D version of graffiti.  Apparently they and their 'yarn guerrillas" will be warming up Port Adelaide during winter using Knit-fitti. 


They've done some fantastically creative things...


but...

I'm a bit worried that they might be taking the idea a little too far.  Look what they did to our neighbour's little boy!





Could all please keep a look out for Aunt Pearl and Granny Glad in the Port this winter and make sure they don't get into any trouble? 



ps. Thanks, whoever you are, for the Warming the Port suggestion.


pps. I'd better not let them see the Llama ideas....



1 comment:

  1. Oh wish I saw the suggestion box!
    My first impression was awe of the gorgeous old buildings I just can't get enough of them! But yes when I walk down the street it is so disheartening to see the empty shops and I wish the council would make the landlords keep them clean at least, maybe also offer reduced rent costs as some sort of project as they are sitting there empty anyway. I can see how it can look to people who are not affiliated emotionally with the port and especially since we should be encouraging tourists its not really a good look. I also wish the empty space next to the lighthouse had a park with outdoor sculptures and water features, tables for families. I often think of the port like a sleeping giant soooooooo happy to see the yarn bombing what a delight!

    ReplyDelete