Sunday, May 20, 2012

Walk Round Corners

I heard down the pub the other night that there's some good things about to happen in the Port.  The last few times they did that though, the Port lost some big, important things like the boat yards and Shed 5 and before that the Ozone Theatre, the Port Fire Station in Dale St, the Port Train Station on St Vincent St, and lots more. 

I'm going to keep my eyes open this time so we don't lose anymore of the big stuff but I'll be keeping my eye on the little stuff, too.

Like the sign on the corner of the Old Port Adelaide Institute Building (corner Nile and Commercial) "Walk Round Corners".  Next time you're at the corner, look up, you'll see it.  It dates back to when the Port was bustling with people and with carts, drays and horses. It was put there to remind the cart driver to get off and lead his animal around the corner for the safety of others.  We don't want to lose that little cracker!

If Commercial Rd north gets a tart up then I'm going to keep my eye on the silent policeman. You might know it as the black diamond corner round about. It was the traffic manager at the busiest intersection in Adelaide - Commercial Rd and St Vincent St. Now located at the north end of Commercial Rd outside the Customs House, it's a black and white column and base and was originally constructed in 1939 (the third of similar ones) intended to manage the traffic. It was replaced with traffic lights on 4 December 1968.

You might also know this as my Facebook profile picture...

I hear Aunt Pearl and my Grandmother are spinning some yarns that they'll share in June. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment